Erica in Nairobi

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Pet Peeves

OK, so I hope that you’ve been able to tell from this blog that I’ve been having a great time here in Kenya. However, there are inevitably a few things that are annoying/frustrating about being in a new place, so here is a list of the few things that bug me about Nairobi/Kenya/the UN:

1. The photograph of the dead seal pup just outside my office.

There are beautiful photographs all over the UN compound, but I just happen to work in the part that features photographs depicting environmental degradation (pollution, erosion, dead wildlife, etc.) So just about every time I leave my office, I’m face to face with a dead seal pup that looks like it was crying tears of blood. Now, I understand that powerful images like this can really do a lot to get a message across. But I’m a vegetarian! Who goes out of her way to buy non-leather Birkenstocks! Who would never hunt a seal pup! Who has pretty much dedicated her life to protecting wildlife! I've already received the message, loud and clear.

2. The assumption that I must be in need of a taxi. All the time.

I can’t walk ANYWHERE, at any time of day, without being honked at (or “hooted at,” as they say here) and being asked, “taxi, madame?” Seriously, if I wanted a taxi, I’d ask for one. Actually, I’d call John or Godfrey, two very nice and reliable taxi drivers who never rip me off.

3. Diet Coke costs 10 shillings more than Coca Cola. (10 shillings is about 13 cents)

So not only might the aspartame be giving me cancer, but I also have to pay extra for it?!?

4. The lack of skim, 1%, or 2% milk. (A carry-over from one of last summer’s pet peeves about Geneva.)

Many of you know how much milk I drink, mostly because I love it, but also partly to try and counteract the effects of all of the Diet Coke I drink (see above), which Erin tells me is rotting my bones. Anyway, many of you also know of my distain for whole milk (“It’s like drinking cheese!”). I haven't had a glass of milk in about a month, which is very sad for me.

5. How early it gets dark here.

We’re really close to the equator, and it’s also winter here (and I’m using the term “winter” loosely), so it starts to get dark around 6:30 or 7:00, which is especially annoying since walking around/taking matatus is less safe after dark. I kind of feel like I turn into a pumpkin after dark and have to either already be home, or call John or Godfrey to take me wherever it is I want/need to go. Jess and Alec, I’m so jealous of the midnight sun!

6. The largest denomination of money is the 1000 shilling bill. (1000 shillings is about $13)

Not so fun when you have to pay your rent in cash. (Luckily, my rent here is significantly less than my rent in DC.)

Don’t let this post give you the wrong impression. All the good things here – great Indian food, fun fellow interns, safaris, a great boss, interesting work, amazing wildlife, lack of homework, and tons of cool places to hike and camp – far outweigh the bad.

7 Comments:

  • you are allowed pet peeves... they are real cultural differences and really funny to read about!!

    If I have to drink whole milk I usually dilute it with water. It looks a bit wierd until you stir it, but when you need a glass of milk you need a glass of milk (preferably with a Berger cookie or two...YUM!) When my parents got married my dad used to tell my mom that drinking anything less than 2% milk was like drinking a glass of water that a cow had been waved over.

    By Blogger Erin, at 6:17 PM  

  • That's what I was planning on doing too, but last night, I actually found .5% milk! (I should have posted the pet peeves earlier, I guess.)

    Oh, and thanks for giving me a craving for Berger cookies that I won't be able to eat for another 2 months :P

    By Blogger Erica, at 8:36 AM  

  • 10 months Erica, I haven't haven't had a Berger cookie in 10 MONTHS!!! AHHHHH!

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:05 AM  

  • Berger cookies are only the most wonderful cookies in the entire world. They're a soft, almost cake-like cookie covered with a huge mound of chocolate fudge.

    They're originally from Baltimore, but you can also get them at a store up the street from where Erin and I used to live.

    I think that as soon as Erin and I get back to the US, we should all meet up in Baltimore and go to Lexington Market (the original source of Berger cookies).

    Until then, I guess I'll have to make do with Digestives (which is a terrible name for a cookie if I ever heard one.)

    By Blogger Erica, at 2:39 PM  

  • ohh, I am all in favor of a Lexington Market trip!! Remember when we tried to go and it was closed:-(

    By Blogger Erin, at 6:03 PM  

  • That was so sad!

    So it's a plan, we'll go to Lexington Market (early in the day so it won't be closed), and on a day that Seema's not on call, and we can all eat way too many Berger cookies than are good for us, and wash them down with skim milk!

    By Blogger Erica, at 6:05 PM  

  • I'll try to remember to bring a box of Berger cookies when we pick you up at the airport, Erica!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home