One week!
So I've been in Nairobi for one week and I just realized that I've never actually been to Nairobi. If you think of DC as an analogy for Nairobi, I've been living/working/hanging out in Bethesda/Chevy Chase since I've been here. Hopefully I'll get to downtown Nairobi this weekend.
But for now, I'm definitely starting to know my way around this part of town. I took a matatu for the first time yesterday (and I even convinced the driver to let me pay the locals fare instead of the foreigners fare!). Matatus are Nairobi's form of public transportation -- they're minibuses that go along set routes, but they will pretty much pick you up or drop you off anywhere along the route (you don't need to stand at a matatu stop in order to catch one). Some of them are just painted white and yellow, but others have really crazy paint jobs -- I've seen 2 Bart Simpson matatus, 1 LA Lakers matatu, and 1 Bling matatu -- seriously, it just had the word "bling" and a bunch of $ signs all over it in sparkly paint. I promise photos soon!!
Other than that, I'm just looking for a more permanent place to live. My host family is not going to be in town all summer, and I'm trying to roll with the punches (sometimes a challenge for me, but I'm actually staying pretty chill) as I look for a new place. Anyway, that's taking up most of my time right now, but once I get it all sorted out, I'll write more and take/post some photos. All in all, things are going really well here and I hope all is well at home! Take care, everyone!
But for now, I'm definitely starting to know my way around this part of town. I took a matatu for the first time yesterday (and I even convinced the driver to let me pay the locals fare instead of the foreigners fare!). Matatus are Nairobi's form of public transportation -- they're minibuses that go along set routes, but they will pretty much pick you up or drop you off anywhere along the route (you don't need to stand at a matatu stop in order to catch one). Some of them are just painted white and yellow, but others have really crazy paint jobs -- I've seen 2 Bart Simpson matatus, 1 LA Lakers matatu, and 1 Bling matatu -- seriously, it just had the word "bling" and a bunch of $ signs all over it in sparkly paint. I promise photos soon!!
Other than that, I'm just looking for a more permanent place to live. My host family is not going to be in town all summer, and I'm trying to roll with the punches (sometimes a challenge for me, but I'm actually staying pretty chill) as I look for a new place. Anyway, that's taking up most of my time right now, but once I get it all sorted out, I'll write more and take/post some photos. All in all, things are going really well here and I hope all is well at home! Take care, everyone!

1 Comments:
Yay! Congrats on getting the locals fare. You're already wheelin and dealin!
By
The Marpepps!, at 11:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home