World Cup and Kilimabongo
First of all, thanks everyone for your comments and e-mails, they've been really sweet, and it's definitely easier to be so far away since I can still "talk" to you guys.
So people here in Nairobi crazy about the World Cup (probably not quite as crazy as the people where Erin's living, but definitely way crazier than the people back home). Every TV you pass is tuned into the matches -- bars and restaurants have even brought in extra TVs so that everyone can have a good view.
I decided to go watch the opening match at the German School, where some of the UN interns are living. When they mentioned that people would be watching the match there, I just kind of pictured a dorm TV lounge, kind of crowded with people (like Lafayette on wrestling night or Butlers Wharf on West Wing night). When I got there, I realized that I was thinking on an entirely incorrect scale. They had set up a projection TV in the gymnasium and the entire gym was filled with people. It's possible that every German and Costa Rican in Nairobi was there. Outside, they were selling sausages, doughnuts, and Bavarian pretzels (and Kenyan beer, go figure). It was nuts, but a ton of fun.
Then on Saturday, I went hiking with a group of people from the UN. We hiked up Kilimabongo ("buffalo mountain"), which is about 60 kms outside of Nairobi. It was great to see some of the smaller towns and the countryside as we drove there. The hike was great, but it was really, really hot (everyone keeps warning me that the "cold season" is coming, but Saturday was no indication of that). Anyway, here are some photos from the hike:
So people here in Nairobi crazy about the World Cup (probably not quite as crazy as the people where Erin's living, but definitely way crazier than the people back home). Every TV you pass is tuned into the matches -- bars and restaurants have even brought in extra TVs so that everyone can have a good view.
I decided to go watch the opening match at the German School, where some of the UN interns are living. When they mentioned that people would be watching the match there, I just kind of pictured a dorm TV lounge, kind of crowded with people (like Lafayette on wrestling night or Butlers Wharf on West Wing night). When I got there, I realized that I was thinking on an entirely incorrect scale. They had set up a projection TV in the gymnasium and the entire gym was filled with people. It's possible that every German and Costa Rican in Nairobi was there. Outside, they were selling sausages, doughnuts, and Bavarian pretzels (and Kenyan beer, go figure). It was nuts, but a ton of fun.
Then on Saturday, I went hiking with a group of people from the UN. We hiked up Kilimabongo ("buffalo mountain"), which is about 60 kms outside of Nairobi. It was great to see some of the smaller towns and the countryside as we drove there. The hike was great, but it was really, really hot (everyone keeps warning me that the "cold season" is coming, but Saturday was no indication of that). Anyway, here are some photos from the hike:

4 Comments:
I would guess it is because they were the World Champs in 2002 and because of Pele, who led the Brazilians to victory in 58, 62 and 70. Pele is a commentator for German TV during all the games. It's a riot, they play music that sounds like the Rocky theme song every time he comes on stage.
By
Erin, at 12:46 PM
Erica, awesome pictures. It is hard for me to realize that those picts didn't come out of a National Geographic Magazine, but were taken by a dear friend who is actually living there. Amazing!!
By
Erin, at 12:47 PM
Erica - experiencing the World Cup in Kenya sounds awesome! It must be so different from DC. My co-worker tells me that the Italy-US game showing at Lucky Bar was pretty tame. -Jennie
By
Anonymous, at 5:01 PM
Hey Guys! Yup, I think it's Pele and the fact that the Brazilians won last time that has people excited about Brazil. Although word on the street here is that they're looking a little lackluster this time around.
Jennie, I have to say, it is really cool experience the World cup in a country that loves soccer/football so much. Hmmm, maybe we should all start saving some money for South Africa in four years ...
By
Erica, at 5:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home