Photos of Daily Life
OK, so I’ve had some complaints that all my photos are of wildlife/mountains/trees/etc. and not about my daily life in Nairobi and at the UN, so here you go …
Two of my housemates, Joe and Eleonora, and our housekeeper, James, cooking dinner. Notice the pineapple in the foreground – pineapples here are so good and so cheap (about 30 cents a pound, if I did the math right). We’re constantly eating them, and I’m getting pretty good at cutting them up!

Our water heater, which you have to turn on half an hour to 45 minutes before you want to take a shower.
The stuff I use to clean fruit and vegetables that aren’t going to be peeled or cooked. To be honest, it kinda makes your food smell a bit like bleach, so I’ve mostly been eating fruits and vegetables that I can either peel or cook. (Pineapples, mangoes, and bananas are good substitutes for apples, grapes, and nectarines, I can wait until I get home to have a nice, big salad.)
Village Market. This photo was taken in the morning, but on a weekend evening (or a night when the World Cup was showing), this place is packed. The food court (shown here) has just about any kind of food you’d want to eat, including some really good vegetarian Indian food. Village Market also has: a grocery store, movie theatre, bowling alley, pool hall, restaurants, water slide (!), and lots of little shops. It’s located right in between the UN and where I live, so it’s very, very convenient.
Garden path between T Block (where I work) and W Block at the UN. The landscaping here is really amazing – sometimes I feel like I’m coming to work in a Hawaiian resort or something like that. There are lots of little pools and some waterfalls, and there’s actually even a whole wetland. The actual offices are in long, 3-storey, concrete buildings called blocks, which are kind of ugly and not very Hawaiian resort-like. I think there’s 1 block for every letter of the alphabet (or at least almost every letter).

Me at my desk. See, I haven’t been eaten by wildebeests. I’m also wearing my new kikoi, a traditional East African woven cloth that you can wear as a scarf, shawl, sarong, or turban (haven’t quite figured that one out yet), that I bought for myself at the Maasai Market downtown. Shopping at the Maasai Market was a crazy experience and will get its own blog entry soon.
OK, I hope that helps you guys picture my life here a little bit better.
Two of my housemates, Joe and Eleonora, and our housekeeper, James, cooking dinner. Notice the pineapple in the foreground – pineapples here are so good and so cheap (about 30 cents a pound, if I did the math right). We’re constantly eating them, and I’m getting pretty good at cutting them up!
Our water heater, which you have to turn on half an hour to 45 minutes before you want to take a shower.
The stuff I use to clean fruit and vegetables that aren’t going to be peeled or cooked. To be honest, it kinda makes your food smell a bit like bleach, so I’ve mostly been eating fruits and vegetables that I can either peel or cook. (Pineapples, mangoes, and bananas are good substitutes for apples, grapes, and nectarines, I can wait until I get home to have a nice, big salad.)
Village Market. This photo was taken in the morning, but on a weekend evening (or a night when the World Cup was showing), this place is packed. The food court (shown here) has just about any kind of food you’d want to eat, including some really good vegetarian Indian food. Village Market also has: a grocery store, movie theatre, bowling alley, pool hall, restaurants, water slide (!), and lots of little shops. It’s located right in between the UN and where I live, so it’s very, very convenient.
Garden path between T Block (where I work) and W Block at the UN. The landscaping here is really amazing – sometimes I feel like I’m coming to work in a Hawaiian resort or something like that. There are lots of little pools and some waterfalls, and there’s actually even a whole wetland. The actual offices are in long, 3-storey, concrete buildings called blocks, which are kind of ugly and not very Hawaiian resort-like. I think there’s 1 block for every letter of the alphabet (or at least almost every letter).
Me at my desk. See, I haven’t been eaten by wildebeests. I’m also wearing my new kikoi, a traditional East African woven cloth that you can wear as a scarf, shawl, sarong, or turban (haven’t quite figured that one out yet), that I bought for myself at the Maasai Market downtown. Shopping at the Maasai Market was a crazy experience and will get its own blog entry soon.
OK, I hope that helps you guys picture my life here a little bit better.

7 Comments:
Cool entry, thanks for the update! Your hair has gotten so long! Why do you have a stove and a burner that is being run on gas?
By
Erin, at 10:10 AM
I know, isn't it nuts -- and I have about 10 more months before I cut it!!
We have the gas burners in case you want to cook dinner during a power failure and the electric stove and burners aren't working. (But the gas ones heat up a little faster so we sometimes use them anyway.)
When I first got here we had fairly frequent power failures, but (knock on wood) there haven't been any lately.
By
Erica, at 5:06 PM
Thanks for the everyday update. It's much easier to picture you being there now! I guess I'll bring a salad to the airport along with the berger cookies...
By
Anonymous, at 9:24 PM
Thanks, Mom! Luckily, my peanut butter supply is holding out ok, so I won't need a peanut butter IV or anything like that when I get home!
By
Erica, at 8:04 AM
Erica, I think the next post of you should include a picture of you with the traditional cloth as turban. It would be awesome! J.
By
Anonymous, at 7:11 PM
I want a kikoi!!! It sounds too much fun.
By
Anonymous, at 6:19 AM
It can be arranged...
By
Erica, at 2:18 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home